Steam into Space
July 28, 2013
And this time I’m not posting about KSP, although I am enjoying the new 0.21 updates
This was the board game that won over causal players, the ones who would watch you play a game of Blood Bowl, but would never commit to rolling up a team.
The Space Hulk scenarios were quick and fun, not too much role play, but plenty of dice rolling action. I always enjoyed how you could play the same game twice, once as the well armed brave mutant marines, and then as the Genestealers. Using holes that your opponent had missed in the last round, to reap vengeance on his plastic models.
I have vague recollections of the first time Space Hulk made it to the CRT screen, released by EA, who were still regarded as cool in the early 90’s. Being a fan of practically every Games Workshop title, a subscriber to White Dwarf, and enjoyed the top down turn based genre defined by Laser Squad this release was a sensation; no more having to set up the board and recruit mates into playing a game. I could just load up a few floppies and derelict space ships awaited!
Here’s a cool review of the original from Rock Paper Shotgun.
The only thing I’m not too happy about is that it’s not being released on Linux, although I can understand the cash incentive to release it on the iPad, and it just means I’ll have to try Steam on Wine
From the Steam site:
About the Game
“WE ARE THE VANGUARD OF HONOUR. THE CUTTING EDGE OF THE BLOOD ANGELS. WE BRING DEATH.”
The legendary Space Hulk returns to Windows PC and Mac in this epic turn based strategy game. Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, an intriguing story of legendary battles and heroic actions unfolds. Play as a small squad of fearless Space Marine Terminators who attempt to reclaim their honor by mounting an assault on a derelict space hulk infested by hordes of vicious tyranid Genestealers.
Take control of the Adeptus Astartes of the Blood Angel chapter and guide them towards glory, while battling fierce Xenos and uncovering ancient relics in the infested confines of the massive Space Hulk named “Sin of Damnation”.
The game is a 3D digital turn based strategy game that recreates the classic claustrophobic board game experience in both singleplayer and multiplayer.
- The first Space Hulk computer game in 17 years! Available on multiple platforms.
- Set in the hugely popular Warhammer 40,000 universe! Official license of the legendary boardgame from Games Workshop.
- Turn-based tactical strategy game! Based on the popular and iconic board game mechanics.
- Blood Angel Terminators! Fight the ferocious Genestealers with heroes of the mighty Blood Angels.
- Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI! Meet unforgiving hordes of Genestealers!
- Thematic 3D environment! Experience the dark labyrinth of a Space Hulk as never before..
- Single player campaign based on the “Sin of Damnation” space hulk! Take on the Sin of Damnation campaign, which includes 3 brand new prequel missions and the 12 missions from the classic board game.
- Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend! Get in the hot seat and battle it out with a friend.
- Cross platform multiplayer between Windows PC, Mac and iOS! Play asynchronous against friends and foes on multiple platforms.