Super Mega Space Blaster Special
Tl;Dr Super Mega Space Blaster Special fun pick up and play shmup available on Steam for less than a dollar that also runs on Linux. I’ve paid heaps more for games I’ve played less. A compulsive fun title.
Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a modern take on the retro arcade space shooter. It is a fast-paced frantic blast of a shoot ’em up (shmup) with bullet hell elements. Played alone or in local coop the game is addictive and will keep the player coming back to unlock the next ship or beat their high-score.
So what do I like about it?
- inspirations from Super Fantasy Zone got me excited from the start
- playable on Linux
- less than a dollar / quid
- this is mobile app like marketing, great for the studio to get people playing
- simple fun mechanics, still challenging
- friendly sociable dev team
Enough of my waffle here are the deets
- Fast-paced addictive shmup gameplay with bullet hell elements.
- 3 play modes give varied gameplay and replay-ability. From the struggle for fuel and ammo in ‘Survival Mode’ (coop or single player), to the battle to keep your mother-ship in one piece in ‘Protect Mother’ (coop or single player), to the frantic race to wipe out your opponent in the local multiplayer mode – ‘To The Death’ (2 player only).
- Play alone in single player or with a friend in local coop or local competitive multiplayer.
- Collect coins to unlock all 10 space blasters (ships) each with their own percs. From fast ships for darting around to slower ships that allow precision aiming.
- Some space blasters have turrets turning the game into a twin-stick shooter.
- Loads of awesome power-up weapons to help you take down your enemies including lasers, homing missiles, and multi-shot.
- Collectables to aid you in your mission. Big-bombs wipe-out nearby enemies, shields help you survive longer, and magnets drag fuel and ammo towards you.
- Endless high-score chasing gameplay with over 15 enemies and a boss for those who can score high enough (gameplay continues after the boss).
- Over 20 in-game challenges to help you gain coins and develop your space blaster piloting skills.
- More than 20 Steam achievements.
- Simple hand-drawn art-style allows you to easily pick out the foes amongst the asteroids.
- Inspired by both games of yesteryear like Asteroids, Super Fantasy Zone, and Galaga, and modern games like Bit Blaster XL and Super Stardust HD.
- Compete to be the greatest space blaster pilot in the Steam Leaderboards.
- Steam Cloud support.
- Full joypad (controller) support including button images for Xbox controllers, PlayStation 4 (DualShock 4) controllers, and Nintendo Switch Pro controllers.
- 9 AI voices to use for in-game messages.
- Play along to the pumping 80’s inspired synth-based original soundtrack by Electric Fan Death.